Happy Cog New York (Remote)
Happy Cog is one of the premier digital agencies in the New York area. Happy Cog provides a full range of web services, including design, development, and marketing. Happy Cog is a preferred partner of CraftCMS.
Developer, UX Designer
February 2019 - Present
I have been a development lead and UX designer for a USA Today subsidiary. I collaborated with designers and stakeholders for user-centered and WCAG designs. I contributed to &Pizza and other significant web applications.
- Led development for web applications built with React, React Router, and Redux. The apps integrate with web services to provide a WCAG compliant single page applications.
- Created static mock websites from designs and conducted usability testing with clients and stakeholders.
- Created components for A/B usability reviews.
- Developed Angular components for continuous integration applications.
- Created user flows for applications supporting multiple platforms using Ionic and Cordova.
- Partnered with the design team to create user-friendly, accessible, and responsive web pages. Led design workshops for usability, accessibility, and semantic HTML.
Alexander Tom Inc Baltimore
Alex+Tom is an award-winning digital agency in the Baltimore area. Alex+Tom provides a range of services, including design, development, usability testing, and marketing. Alex+Tom was founded over twenty-five years ago and has been a leading usability agency for the last fifteen years.
Developer, UX Designer
November 2011 - March 2019
I was a development lead and UX designer for clients, including the Department of Treasury and the National Park Service. I created award-winning interfaces and web services for high traffic agencies and companies.
- Created WCAG compliant user interfaces for government and corporate clients. Utilized ARIA and semantic HTML for easy user navigation that is 508 compliant.
- Created server-side web services (API endpoints) using Ruby, PHP, and Node. These web services were created in REST or GraphQL using the MVC architectural pattern.
- Created responsive interfaces with vanilla CSS and transpiled CSS from PostCSS, Less, and Sass. Created encapsulated styled components for extensibility and maintainability. Utilized Atomic design methodology for a hierarchy organization of components and common styles.
- Coordinated with designers and stakeholders to create user-centric design experiences. Collaborations included reviewing designs for UX concerns, creating mock examples of concerning components or pages with alternative options, creating user questions, analysis the results of user testing.
- Mentored stakeholders, designers, content managers, and other developers on creating user-driven and accessible interfaces. Provided individual and group training for component design, content authoring, and code structure.
- Utilized an agile development approach to iterate interactive usability and eye tracking tests. Rapid prototyping daily based on user feedback for comparative analysis.
- Compile qualitative research from user experience testing to create usability portals for stakeholders. Created interactive website portals with each participant's information, eye tracking videos, and results.
- Created a library of components using Custom Elements for rapid prototyping. Abstract common styles into reusable repositories and add components with a package manager for the DRY design principle.
- Configured and maintained Linux servers for production sites on Amazon EC2. Used Linux distros CentOS, RedHat, and Amazon Linux AMI FedRAMP certified servers.
- Created and maintained high traffic sites using the content management systems CraftCMS, Expression Engine, Drupal, and Keystone. Created plugins and modules for CraftCMS to enhance the authoring experience for content managers and stakeholders. Created plugins for CraftCMS for enhanced user experiences on the client with integrations with third-party web services.
Client work includes:
- Department of Treasury
- National Parks Service
- Export-Import Bank of United States
- Chase Bank
- JJ Haines
- Star Spangled 200
- The Stronach Group
Kelly & Associates Hunt Valley
Kelly & Associates is an insurance and payroll company located in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Kelly & Associates is one or the nation's largest providers of benefits administration and technology. Kelly & Associates provides a full range of internal services for users and brokers.
June 2010 - September 2011 (Internship)
Led the automated quality insurance testing. Provided daily reports on system status and test results. Created ASP webpages using C#.
- Created unit and integration tests with Selenium toolkit written in C#. Update the automated scripts daily for development changes.
- Execute test scripts and provide daily reports on application state in daily stand-ups.
- Created front end webpages using HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- Meet with business users during the discovery process for requirements gathering.